When I decided to participate in the African Day Cake Collaboration event, I had an inspiration but I wanted to do something safer – a bas relief (e.g. Afro babe cake), which I had done many times before. However, I knew the latter wouldn’t be challenging. I discussed the idea with my staff and they all said we should go all the way. Our preferred design meant I had to do a human sculpture which I had never attempted. In fact, I always dreaded it. We eventually decided to do it. As you can imagine, we faced so many challenges. The first issue was the support structure (our neck is trying o). Moreover, getting the right skin colour was a lot of work (the lighting during the photo shoot made the cake colour look lighter). Finally covering the cake with colored paste also turned out to be an arduous task. The paste kept breaking because of the amount of color in the mix (a good learning experience when next I have a similar challenge). We had to redo the lips and the beads (the big beads). We overcame all the hurdles and the finished work is this masterpiece. We were all elated with this beautiful work of art. I had to constantly encourage my staff along the way whilst inwardly I sometimes felt like giving up on the project. But we did it at the end of the day. Well done team TL Cake Boulevard. You guys are amazing!
By the way, our cake was selected among top 4 cakes. It’s an honour!
Choosing a wedding cake can be such fun while for others the experience could be quite overwhelming. Occasionally, brides fall in love with every kind of cake picture and ultimately get so confused; whereas in some other instances, the couples don’t even have a clue as to what they want their wedding cake to look like. We have provided some useful tips that may serve as a guide but more importantly, enable you enjoy the process of determining your dream wedding cake.
- Start by exploring various wedding cake pictures either by surfing the web or checking different wedding magazines. Select at most five (5) pictures that you like (note that you don’t necessarily have to like everything about the cake). Examine the details on each tier while noting the designs and concepts that appeal to you. Afterwards, you can merge the concepts thereby creating that amazing design that you truly love.
- Consider incorporating other elements of your wedding on the cake design and structure. Such elements may include: color preference, details from your invitation card, patterns from the wedding dress, your unique wedding logo, and perhaps your initials. That way, the wedding cake is unique and customized… just for you! An example is our reference picture that includes the couple’s wedding logo. To achieve this, do bear in mind that it is advisable to finalize the cake design after most elements of the wedding have been settled.
- The wedding cake design can be based on a theme. Some of these themes include: peacock wedding, under the sea, by the beach, Art deco, diamond love affair, henna, royalty, and white roses. You can also combine two themes that work together. An example is a “Diamond love affair” and “White roses”.
- Your wedding cake can also reflect your personality, occupation or where you’ve been. Who says the cake has to be white?
- And whatever you do, keep your budget in mind.
Feed your imaginations while choosing your dream cake. Let your cake be a statement! Let it bring smiles to your face… even long after the wedding ceremony.